Pages

Monday 15 September 2014

Time’s Lost Atlas: A soul stirring trip to the last 10 years around the World!!





I’m so glad that short stories as a concept is being revived again, and in a serious way. I have always found short stories very intriguing & even more creative than a full length novel. Bound by expressing all emotions a novel does, in just a few pages, short stories have to reach within the reader much faster with all the emotions the story is trying to convey & still derive the same impact that a full length novel does.
It is in short stories where I discovered the sheer genius of legends like O.Henry, Guy De Maupassant, Jaishankar Prasad, Yashpal and many others. Over the years the art of short stories got somewhat reduced in stature & relegated to the background. I’m happy, the genre is seeing a revival yet again…and I hope it continues.
I received Time’s Lost Atlas from the publication house Half Baked Beans, and the summary script at the back of the book intrigued me. 11 stories of 11 different authors delving into the 11 most prominent & notorious events of the last 10 decades; which means 11 stories, each of them handling one of the most sensitive events that shook the World; events like major bombing, major riots, major natural calamities, conspiracy theories, etc etc.

I thought to myself, that it would be extremely tough bringing out the emotions of pathos, fear, tragedy, romance, mystery together in short stories. This seemed like one big challenge.

Time’s Lost Atlas did not disappoint at all on this front.

The very first story – Beneath by Budhaditya Bhattacharjee was so thrilling & mysterious. Right from the beginning, it had me gripped. I could not understand what was happening to the protagonist of the story and I wanted to read on to find the end. It was truly a page-turner and very dark & mysterious….and very beautifully it just leaves you at the perfect climax point. Not revealing too much, yet revealing some information, leaving the rest for the reader to decipher!!

The Motown Conspiracy by Sakshi Srivastava – What a risqué story!! How honest, blatant, bold & thrilling. If you are reading this Sakshi, then please know, that your story drove me to google more on the topic after I read it. Very well written.

The One & Only Purpose by Geeta Madhuri– Interesting take on a major event. Quite liked the imagination here…and I can go on & on….each story was interesting in their own plot. I would at times marvel as to how well the respective authors of their stories have merged emotions like romance & love amidst tough background of conspiracy & war, in just a few pages. Notable in this direction were The Rising by Malvika Roy Singh & A Symphony of Concurrences by Vishal Bagaria....the former such a heart touching story (it reminded me a little bit of The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini) and the latter was so mysterious yet believable; this was one story that was subtle in all emotions right from the beginning & yet left so much impact – feelings of infatuation, love, faith, deceit all woven in one story so very subtly & still leaves a mark on you.

In the department of love, deceit & conspiracy, The Filch by Namrata was very well written too. I was not expecting the end of the story as written. It was in fact quite impactful and can leave a reader thinking.

United We Fall by Anurag Anand covered one of the biggest space tragedies of the last decade. The author painted scene by scene, character by character of what exactly would be going inside a space shuttle that knows it is approaching an end!! Very well written.

But the story that just shook me up were two of the whole collection:
Pangs of Pain by Shruti Jain – Wow!!! The best of the whole collection in my opinion. I wish I could be with Tamanna in more pages. Hats off to the author. What a heart wrenching story. How she expressed absolutely complex emotions of love, feeling of loss, pathos, fear, the ugliness of society in just a few chapters simply wowed me. Her story actually transported me to the scene of the plot. Beautifully written.
Innocents at War by Adwitiya Borah – Heart touching take on one of the biggest riots that shook our country in last decade. What I liked was that Borah brought out the pathos of riot boldly & blatantly, without trying to soften any aspect. Yes, riots are much worse, but what she expressed in just a few pages was very heart touching.

The last of the collection, The Victims, by Vishnu Vardhana, was a good story. As the name suggests it deals with victims of various incidents, some that shook the World, and some that are too personal, but all of whom have had a soul charring effect on its “victims”. Instead of dealing with situations directly, it deals with them via their survivors and their post trauma therapy. The concept was very intriguing and was structured well too. However, to be very honest, I was just slightly let down in this story due to grammatical errors, and there were quite a few. Now call me old school, but I have grown up considering books & newspapers to be my reference point to correct my grammar & vocabulary. It then seems a bit jarring when a good story is plagued with grammatical errors. Having said that, this was the only flaw in the story; otherwise its structure, thought, plot all were very good.

Brilliant job done by Harsh Agarwal to not only compile these stories, but also give them a correct order where each story builds up the momentum into the other.

Kudos to the publisher Half Baked Beans for encouraging short story formats in this way, and one that touches sensitive and risqué topics, & yet emerges a winner!!


A Must Read.

No comments:

Post a Comment